The History of Marshall Public Schools
School District 8 was designated by the Lyon County Commissioners in 1872 and officially organized the next year. The first classes were held on the second floor of an office building, built by the Congregational Church. Location unknown.
History on the early Marshall public school buildings before the grade schools, East Side and West Side, were built in the 1950’s and subsequent school buildings.
In 1875, an octagonal schoolhouse was built. Closed in 1886. The octagon part of the school was moved in 1887 and was located on the west side of town near the Chicago and North Western Railway tracks. (Converted into a house and year demolished is unknown)
Southside School on the corner of S. 4th and Lynd Streets was built in the 1890s and closed in 1911. The building was purchased by Dr. F.D. Gray, who remodeled the building and turned it into the Marshall Hospital. The hospital closed in 1950. The building became a convalescent home. The building was demolished in 1963.
- Marshall School Building on W. Lyon Street. Built in 1886. Destroyed by a fire in 1898.
- Marshall High School Building on W. Lyon Street. Built on the same location as the school that burned in 1898. Opened in 1899. Served as the high school until the new building on N. 4th Street opened in 1931. Served as the middle school. The building was demolished in 1979.
- Marshall High School Building on N. 4th Street. Opened in 1932. Served as the high school until the new building on S. Saratoga Street opened in 1969. Served as the middle school. The building was demolished in 2006.
During World War II and immediately after the war, there was a need for more school buildings in Marshall. Two grade school/elementary schools were built in Marshall in the 1950s.
- East Side Elementary School on E. College Drive. Opened in 1952. Grace Life Church and True Light Christian School (formerly Marshall Area Christian School) have occupied the building since 2006.
- West Side Elementary School on S. 4th Street. Opened in 1956. Closed in 2021.
- Marshall High School Building on S. Saratoga Street. Opened in 1969. Served as the high school until the new building on Tiger Drive opened in 2005. Currently serving as the middle school.
- Park Side Elementary School on E. Lyon Street. Opened in 1989.
- Marshall High School Building on Tiger Drive. Opened in 2005.
- Southview Elementary School on E. Southview Drive. Opened in 2021.